[SML] Music licences

FBC Tech Team sound at faithbc.net
Thu Dec 6 17:46:11 UTC 2018

This is one of the reasons I gave up doing Event Videography part time.
Copyright laws are so ridiculously convoluted and cumbersome. I like
Australia's approach of paying a singe yearly fee for licensing of various
things, even Event Videography ($300/yr and can make up to 50 copies of the
videos, more for additional costs). But, they have a single publishing
house for the country so they're not fighting between themselves.

I wonder, though, how does buying accompaniment tracks for live
performances figure in? I was always under the impression that the
performer paying upwards of $20 per song for "live performance permission"
(as stated on the tape or CD case itself) was all that was needed. Is there
additional licensing required for venues?

It's a little different in my mainly church world (I'm the TD/systems tech
at my church) where we pay an annual fee for display of lyrics and live
performance of catalog songs, to include permission to record and sell
audio and video copies (15% of attendance) for a max-specified price, and
we also pay an additional fee for permission to livestream the service
(none of these licensing fees include permission to record/stream
pre-recorded music, though, only live performed).

Jeff

Jeff Klein, DMC- E
Audio Visual Integration Manager
Dept of Defense
Washington D.C. District

 "Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for God
opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:5