[SML] Music licences

Steve Jones stevejones at mac.com
Thu Dec 6 14:39:36 UTC 2018

Back when I was Executive Director for a historic theatre as it opened after renovation, I tried repeatedly to get ASCAP & BMI to set up licenses for our venue.  I never met with any success.  The reason?  The theatre was owned and operated by the city government.  It was not a separate non-profit.  We were a department of the City, just like the Street Department or the Police Department.  But in trying to set up our license, ASCAP and BMI both demanded that the license include the entire city government - all offices, all departments, etc.  The cost was HUGE compared to just an agreement with a PAC of our size. We argued again and again that we didn't need to license the entire city, which was much more expensive, as no one else utilized music in any way.  We shot down every reason we were told that we had to license the entire city.  Surely the City played music on hold on its phones?  Nope.  Surely the City hosts parades or concerts (other than in our venue)?  Nope.  Every argument they made, we countered that we didn't do that - because we didn't.  Even the City Attorney got involved.  We finally gave up.  We sent them one last registered letter stating our willingness to sign a licensing agreement based on the PAC, and nothing else and never heard anything more.  We tried to do the right thing but the greed of ASCAP and BMI prevented it.  This was over 10 years ago.