[SML] Music licences

Bruce Purdy bpurdy at rochester.rr.com
Thu Dec 6 14:06:17 UTC 2018

A while ago, Joe Wilson wrote:

> Any use of copyrighted music that is used in a dramatic context, including thematic and transition music between scenes in a play (or in dance, or any other situation where you are applying meaning to the music) must be cleared under "Grand Rights."

	I’ve been ruminating for some time on this question: Back when I was a venue TD, we hosted several dance recitals by local dance studios. Each of the  dances used commercial music, and I KNOW there was no thought ever given to licensing! If anything, they might have assumed it was covered under the venue’s blanket licence - but it sounds like it should be “Grand Rights” based on the quote above.

	It seems completely impractical for a small dance studio to jump through the necessary hoops to get Grand Licensing for each child’s recital piece. (Although the audience is largely parents and family, they were open to the public.)

	I’m curious how other’s deal with this type of situation, or if there is any “right” solution.

Bruce
-----
Bruce Purdy
Central New York Magic Theatre Co.