[SML] Looking for some advice on Marley

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 23:13:10 UTC 2018

On 12/15/18 12:08 AM, John Taylor via Stagecraft wrote:
> I am working with a dance group. One of their rolls of Marley was stored
> on the original cardboard tube. Somehow it got stored standing up
> instead of being laid flat. Well the cardboard tube buckled and we now
> have lots of bubble type bulges in the two pieces that were on that tube.
>
> The Marley has been laid out for 2 days, stretched, taped down,
> stretched out and taped down again. We still have this series of bubbles
> on it. Of course one of these pieces is in a major entrance on the stage.
>
> Talking with a couple of people, they suggested wet heat with flat
> weights on it. Would wet towels and a steam iron help?
>
> If you know how we can eliminate these bubbles please advise.

I'm not sure why they suggest wet heat.  My old floor had a similar
issue and would bake it with the stage lights for an hour or so and
restretch it.  They may not go away 100% this installation, but if the
floor is rolled and stored well, the bubbles shouldn't be there next time.

I store mine upright, as suggested by the manufacturer (Harlequin.)  I
roll it tightly on a 6" PVC core and haven't had any problems with the
edges buckling.

If you store it flat, it can help to have a curved base to lay it in to
keep it from flattening.

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall