[SML] Colorsource Spot vs incandescent S4

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Tue Jan 9 12:51:07 UTC 2018

> So I was looking at a spreadsheet someone built, comparing the various
> flavors of Source Fours (Lustres, Colorsource, incandescent), plus
> other LED goodies from ETC, and just looking at some sample numbers
> (all emitters on, 3200K, 5600K whites) it looks like both the latest
> Lustres and the Colorsources seem to be around 1/2 the footcandles of
> the old-skool incandescent Source Fours?  Really?
>
> Anyone have any experiences from a side-by-side shoot-out?

I don't have much experience with LED fixtures, but it is hard to compare them
with incandescent sources - except at full intensity "white".

Keep in mind that when you gel an incandescent fixture, you can lose a large
part of the intensity. Some of the deep blues, for example, have 10%
transmission, or even less. So a S4 with a primary blue gel is likely to be
far dimmer than an LED fixture set to "match" Rosco's Primary Blue.

On the other hand, I have not seen an LED fixture yet where I like how the
light looks on costumes and sets.

Bill