[SML] portable power pack

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Thu Jan 18 05:33:38 UTC 2018

On 1/16/2018 4:56 PM, Jerry Durand via Stagecraft wrote:
> I have a client needs to replace some old power packs, these are the
> carry around things with a 120VAC outlet and a 12V cigarette lighter
> socket.  I can find plenty with the AC output, but the 12V accessory
> socket is scarce.
>
> The old ones have a 200W inverter, so a bit bigger like 400W would be
> safer as he's toasted one.
>
> Any thoughts?

Is this for a mobile setpiece or something like that?   Does he need
both 12VDC and 120VAC, or just the 12 VDC?   Nowadays if I were building
something like that, I'd pick a brand of cordless power tool that has a
12 volt battery and buy a batch of batteries and chargers.  You buy the
kit that comes with a driver/drill and the flashlight.  The flashlights
get butchered into power source adapters for the setpiece.

The battery packs are now a standard item that any vaguely technically
qualified person can swap out for a freshly charged battery in a few
moments, and you have a readily available supply of battery packs as
they get damaged or unusable.   Any inspectors looking at it will likely
be more comfortable seeing them than some handmade rube goldberg setup
that only one person can service.

As a bonus, you get a bunch of driverdrills and battery chargers.

   Dale