[SML] portable power pack

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Thu Jan 18 06:26:12 UTC 2018

On 01/17/2018 09:33 PM, Dale Farmer via Stagecraft wrote:

> Is this for a mobile setpiece or something like that?

Not a set, he just has some bits of gear he needs powered away from an
outlet.

> Does he need both 12VDC and 120VAC, or just the 12 VDC?

Both, he has 12V gear and 120V.  I suggested a 12V only pack and a small
inverter might be the best way to go, B&H has those packs for camera lights.

> Nowadays if I were building something like that, I'd pick a brand of
> cordless power tool that has a 12 volt battery and buy a batch of
> batteries and chargers.  You buy the kit that comes with a
> driver/drill and the flashlight.  The flashlights get butchered into
> power source adapters for the setpiece.

I've also turned a flashlight into a charge adapter.  Inspector probably
wouldn't like it but I can plug in a nice fast charger that way.

> The battery packs are now a standard item that any vaguely technically
> qualified person can swap out for a freshly charged battery in a few
> moments, and you have a readily available supply of battery packs as
> they get damaged or unusable.   Any inspectors looking at it will
> likely be more comfortable seeing them than some handmade rube
> goldberg setup that only one person can service.
>
> As a bonus, you get a bunch of driverdrills and battery chargers.

Seems like a reasonable thing for 12V on sets.  Wonder how inspectors
would go for a practical lamp plugged into one of the packages 120V
inverter/battery assemblies we've been talking about?  Gets you power on
a turntable or wagon AND you could point to the safety certification on
it.  The lithium ones are good for hundreds of charges so you might need
more than one over the run of a show but it's no more expensive than
other ways of getting power there.

--
Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.
www.interstellar.com