[SML] : Antique wheelchair - need new rubber for tires

Duncan Mahoney dmahoney at usc.edu
Thu Jan 25 21:13:28 UTC 2018

Jon Aeres asks:

" Props folks:

So... where does one go if they'd like to get an antique wheelchair's crumbling rubber replaced?

An antique chair, being used in a show, needs one of the small back wheels replaced ASAP, but I may try to replace the rubber on all the wheels, cuz... well, it's one wheel today; it'll be another one tomorrow."

I had to do this very job last year.  McMaster-Carr had rubber O-ring stock in the diameter needed, and the proper cyanoacrylate to glue it together with.  I made a little jig to hold the ends of the rubber so the joints would line up.  The joints held through stretching the o-rings onto the wheel rims, and a few weeks of run.  We don't own the chair so I can't say anything about longer term performance

Duncan Mahoney
Head of Technical Direction
Associate Professor of Theatre Practice
University of Southern California School of Dramatic Arts