[SML] Dry Ice

Keith Newman keithbnewman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 19:03:37 UTC 2018

There is no way one pound of dry ice will be sufficient for that volume of
space for any significant effect. How long do you want the effect to last?
That is an important question. I want to say 60 lbs is overkill but it
really depends on the duration of the effect. The volume and speed you can
get the ice to sublimate into a gas will vary a bit as the water you heat
it with chills as more dry ice is added to it. I've used the city
theatrical Aquafog 3300 before for a production of Phantom. It did the job
very well. We probably went through at least 50lbs. per night for the
Phantom's boat ride with Christine into his lair but we had a larger space
to fill (approximately 25' x 50'). We split the fog into two output hoses
to more evenly disperse the effect. Definitely wait as long as possible to
dump the ice into the hopper so you do not chill the water at all before
beginning the effect. Dry ice is more difficult and costs more than fog
fluid might. Cost-effectiveness of the gag depends on what you have or have
to rent as far as gear and the cost of the ice vs. fluid. The billowing
look of dry ice fog is great and it is CO2, so getting complaints about
irritation to fog fluid does not happen. Have a ton of towels standing by
each night just in case of spills or some excess condensation coming
through the hoses. City Theatrical's data sheet on the Aquafog 3300 says
50lbs. of dry ice lasts around 10 minutes. For a faster effect, make sure
you get pellets of dry ice rather than bricks of it. If your supplier can
only get you bricks, make sure you break it up in advance with a hammer or
other implement of destruction. A greater surface area of the ice reacting
to the water will increase the speed of the effect. Keep in mind that I
last used this around 6 or 7 years ago so I might be a little shaky on the
numbers. Contacting whichever manufacturer of the gear you use to find out
their estimates is something I would recommend. They can probably tell you
more specifics about volume output per pound of ice used over a duration of
time.

A hazer is definitely the wrong device to use. A fogger with a chiller unit
can certainly work but there is something special about the look of rolling
clouds of CO2. Keep in mind that foggers take up space. Once they are
filled with water, they are heavy and awkward to move. Water can slosh
through open vent ports. Look at power requirements as well. I think the
Aquafog 3300 required at least two independent 20A circuits. Check the
requirements of whatever fogger you go with and make sure you have
dedicated power for it.