[SML] TV trivia question

Mt. Angel Performing Arts Center admin at mtangelperformingarts.com
Sun Jun 17 15:00:40 UTC 2018

The transition from monochrome to color meant that instead of using one
pickup tube for gray scale you now had 3 sensors (and in 1953 I think
only image orthicons were available), one each for red, green and blue.

To create a monochrome baseband signal to mimic the existing luminance
profile of a single image sensor from the three primaries  (thereby
maintaining visual compatibility with the installed base of black and
white TVs) they were combined in the ratio 71.5% Green, 21.2% Red and
7.2% Blue - so most of the 'brightness' of a color signal came from the
green channel.

And set lighting was in the hundreds of foot candles for the early tubes
so you'd pick the brightest color for most of the field to keep studio
power and A/C cost reasonable.

Also, the brighter/whiter the video signal the less transmitter power
was consumed - remember sync tip = 100% transmit power, white = 0%
transmit power.

Thirdly, green gives an excellent contrast to flesh tones, and if there
are color phase shifts in the transmission chain (not uncommon with
those early day color signals) the home viewer interpolates whatever
flesh is displayed as 'flesh' and the green masks perceived color
shifts. Everybody looks equally sickly with a green background.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Carla

"When the politicians claim TV turns their proceedings into a circus it
should be made plain that the circus was already there, and that TV has
merely demonstrated that not all the performers are well-trained."
Edward R. Murrow