[SML] picky charger

Dan Sheehan dsheehan.sml at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 11:47:11 UTC 2018

1) Is perhaps the charger miswired so it uses hot-to-ground instead of
hot-to-neutral ?
    You could check for this by making an adaptor with neutral opened.
    If the charger works on this, it's wrong.

2) Inverter output is just floating ?
   That's perhaps a no-no, unless it's *specified* to be a ground isolator.
   Should be OK, and desirable, to tie the inverter output  neutral to
ground.

3) I've seen flourescent light fixtures (the 4-foot-long tube "shop light"
kind)
   not start if the metal case is not grounded, or in at least one case,
  not start if the sheet metal cover is not present;
   touch the glass with your hand, and it lights up then runs find.
  Apparently it requires capacitive coupling from the tube to ground to
start.

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 1:48 AM, Me via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I just had a wireless charger refuse to work on a pure sine wave
> inverter.  I tried it on a wall outlet, works fine.  Tried again on the
> inverter, no work.
>
> I checked the inverter output with a 'scope in differential mode, looked
> close to perfect.  So...???
>
> Finally figured out the inverter isn't referenced to ground like the mains
> are.  Nothing cares except this one charger.  Must be a marginal design in
> the charger and the lack of a ground reference kills the function.
>
> Every day is a surprise!
>
> --
> Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.
> www.DurandInterstellar.com