[SML] picky charger

Jerry Durand jdurand at durandinterstellar.com
Sun Jun 24 16:22:24 UTC 2018

The charger is two wire double insulated, but note it's a wireless one.
It charges the device when it's just close to it.

The inverter output isn't floating, but I'm pretty sure the way it
generates a pure sine wave is the key.  In making a pure sine wave the
first thought that would come to mind is tying the neutral to ground in
the inverter and then just making a sine on the "hot", but that requires
it to have twice the internal DC voltage to go from positive peak to
negative peak.

So what this does is the "neutral" output is a pure square wave while
the "hot" output is two half sine waves.  When the "neutral" is at
ground, the "hot" makes a half wave from ground up to peak, then back to
ground.  When it gets back to ground, the "neutral" and "hot" are
switched together to peak voltage, then the "hot" makes an inverted wave
starting from the peak voltage, going down to ground at what would be
the - peak, then back up to peak voltage.  Both lines are then switched
together back to ground to start everything over again.

>From the point of view of any modern device (pretty much everything is
agnostic about which wire is "neutral" and which is "hot") this works great.

But, back to the wireless charger, this would be putting a mains
frequency (50/60Hz) bias into the air-coupled signal to the device to be
charged.  I suspect this either prevents the charger from detecting the
presence of a device to be charged or the device to be charged from
realizing it's within range of the charger.

Remember when battery chargers were a transformer, a full wave rectifier
if you were lucky, otherwise a single selenium rectifier, and that was
about it?