[SML] 60Hz gear in a 50Hz World

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Fri Mar 2 01:26:58 UTC 2018

> We're sending a show to Abu Dhabi.  We'd like to run some 120v
> practicals on the set with a small DMX dimmer pack ("party pack")
> plugged into a transformer.  Will that work?  Is the gear likely to
> handle the different frequency?

If the dimmer pack has a "universal power supply", eg accepting 90 - 240 V
mains at 50/60 Hz, then there shouldn't be any problem with the pack. If not,
then all bets are off.

One way to handle that situation would be to rectify the mains power to DC,
then use the DC to power a 60 120V inverter.

Bill