[SML] 60Hz gear in a 50Hz World

Bruce bruce at ledworklights.com
Fri Mar 2 06:07:39 UTC 2018

On Thursday, March 1, 2018 7:26:58 PM CST, Bill Nelson via Stagecraft
wrote:
>> We're sending a show to Abu Dhabi.  We'd like to run some 120v
>> practicals on the set with a small DMX dimmer pack ("party pack")
>> plugged into a transformer.  Will that work?  Is the gear likely to
>> handle the different frequency?

> One way to handle that situation would be to rectify the mains power to DC,
> then use the DC to power a 60 120V inverter.

A solution known as an 'online double-conversion UPS'.  Depends how much
current you're drawing but this might be an option.

Might be worth looking into.  But not exactly cheap.  Could probably buy
dimmers that would work for less than the UPS solution.  But maybe not.

:Bruce
--
Itinerant Stagehand and Creature Mechanic