[SML] What is this cap called?

NODEraser noderaser at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 15:54:39 UTC 2018

If it's a true mil-spec cap, it should have a part number printed somewhere
on it, either printed or laser-engraved--although they have a tendency to
wear off in use. Those types of caps either have the beaded chain like
you've got, a sash chain, wire rope, or a molded plastic keeper. The beaded
chain type is the easiest to work with, but by far the weakest. The
strongest is the sash chain, although they can be a PITA in use because the
chain has a tendency to twist up and bind when you're trying to screw the
cap on, especially when there is corrosion involved.

If there's no part number on the cap, check the backside of the connector
inside the box for its part number, then you should be able to find a
suitable mating cap from Digi-key or similar.