[SML] Stage floor designers/installers on the West Coast

Nancy Christian Nancy.Christian at vvc.edu
Tue Mar 13 00:17:11 UTC 2018

Greeting everyone,

The stage floor of our main stage space needs to be replaced. Our current floor is about 38 years old, Douglas fir tongue and groove, secured to stringers and supported by rubber pads over a concrete pad. The apron is hard wood. As the years have passed the floor has been maintained by patching and filling holes and repainting, sanding the paint off with sanding screens and patching, re-sealing then painting, and every few years having a floor company come in and shaving the floor down a wee bit and repeating all the other steps.

We have reached that point where the floor is too uneven all over and the tongue and groove portions are failing. The wood is also splintering off and becoming a hazard. Our dance department has chosen to add tap to their shows but don't like any of the marleys that can take tap. Therefore more abuse, less protection for both the floor and the modern dancers.

We have been approved to replace our entire floor next summer and I am being asked to secure some preliminary quotes before getting to the RFP stage. If anyone knows of any companies that do theatre floor installs would you please list the company name and contact ability. West coast is preferable. We are in the high desert of California. I know at least one of you listers has been to our facility (John Palmer). I'm looking to either replace it just as it is structured now or go with a subfloor, hard board top option. I would like someone who is familiar with both that can help us with making this decision and providing ball park cost for materials and labor for removal of old floor and installing the new floor.

I appreciate any assistance on this.

Nancy Christian
Technical Coordinator
Performing Arts Center
Victor Valley College
(760) 245-4271 ext. 2513

[Seal of VVC]

Nancy Christian,
TD, Performing Arts Center | Performing Arts Center
Victor Valley College
18422 Bear Valley Road
Victorville, CA 92395
Office: Bldg. 54 Room 10