[SML] Insurance question

Stephen Rees Stephen.Rees at fredonia.edu
Wed Mar 21 11:49:57 UTC 2018

All,
I got this note from a former student who will be bringing a show to town
in August and he posed the question below.  I don't have an answer to give
him. Does the collective mind has any ideas about national agencies or
cooperatives he might explore to get proper coverage? He is not trying to
avoid coverage, but hasn't encountered this issue before.

Quoted message follows:
"Wanted to pick your brain for a little info, if you have it.

It looks like I’ll be bringing my show The Motherf**ker With The Hat to
[redacted] the weekend of the Reunion!
And we are all very excited about it!

That said, I’ve got a bit of an issue...(redacted) informed me there isn’t
a liability rider on the Theater Dept (or rather [the university])
insurance I could purchase for temporary coverage.

We are a small troupe that produces the show at various venues here in CA
and always had the ability to buy into their coverage. But it sounds like I
have to purchase a separate policy for 2 mill liability coverage. So my
question is, since you may have dealt with this in the past, where I might
go to get the best price for that coverage?

Is there another way/organization that might allow us to “ride” onto a
policy that you know of?

Any info you could provide would be appreciated!"

Thanks in advance..
Steve

Stephen E. Rees
Professor Emeritus of Theatre