[SML] Cleaning the audience space

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Fri Mar 23 04:02:33 UTC 2018

On 3/22/2018 11:37 PM, jdunfee12--- via Stagecraft wrote:
> I am active with a local theater group that performs in in a muli-use
> space.  For shows, we have carpeted platforms that are used for risers.
>   We sell popcorn and other snacks, and need to clean our risers of the
> debris between shows.
>
> Currently the approach is to use a broom to sweep the popcorn from under
> the seat to the space in front of the seats, where we will use a vacuum.
>
> I know that some spaces use blowers to blow debris from the top of the
> seating, down towards towards the very front of the space, where it gets
> vacuumed.  But, in our case, I suspect a lot of popcorn will end up
> going under the risers.  And we store a lot of stuff under those risers.
>
> Are there any other approaches to cleaning that we should consider?
>
> -joe

Many years ago, I saw a movie theater crew that used a backpack vacuum
cleaner with a lopsided floor sucker thing. (I don't know what the
proper term is for the thing. ) where the suction pipe was on the left
hand end instead of the traditional center location.  This allowed the
operator to suck up debris from underneath the seat while walking along
the row.  No need for sweeping.

Dale