[SML] was "cleaning the audience space"

Duncan Mahoney dmahoney at usc.edu
Fri Mar 23 19:44:34 UTC 2018

While asking about cleaning risers Joe casually mentions "And we store a lot of stuff under those risers."

Way back when I was younger, and had a boss who should have known better but didn't, there was a visit from the local AHJ...Who was not pleased at all about the large amount of combustible stuff (spare seat backs and cushions, old stage drapes, lamps in cardboard boxes, furniture, etc.) we had stored under the risers.  Much merriment was had finding new places for it all to go.

My current AHJ is also of the (reasonable IMO) opinion that anything that could burn should not be stored under the risers.  Unless of course the space under the risers is constructed in such a way that you have at least 1 hour fire separation from the audience...

Duncan Mahoney
Head of Technical Direction
Associate Professor of Theatre Practice
University of Southern California School of Dramatic Arts