[SML] Looking for these light bulbs

Johnson, Philip Philip.Johnson at tamucc.edu
Sat May 19 10:36:26 UTC 2018

I’ve seen bulbs that have this look made with silicone caulking.   I have dipped low wattage lamps in silicone to make a similar effect and they have worked for years.  We did Arabian nights a bunch of years ago and i dipped light bulbs in the silicone to mimic a flame effect.   I got the ideas from seeing light bulbs at Spencer’s in the mall, they had silicone stuck to the actual bulb in a variety of configurations.   Silicone is used for baking mats, oven mitts and cookware.

You would have to play around with colorant to get the color effect.  If you used colored light bulbs you might be able to have the color from the bulb color the silicone.

I know this sounds wonky but we did a test on the lightbulbs before we ran the show and ran them for several hours at full.  the wattage of the lamps was between 10 to 40 watts of different sizes from candelabra base to regular screw.  The type of lamps you put in chandeliers.  Do a test before you put them on the stage if you use higher lamps and maybe write an inhibit on the board to keep them from going too high or unplug them between shows so they don’t get turned on and left.

Sent from my iPad

Philip Johnson
Texas A&M Corpus Christi