[SML] Stage Decking Replacement

Kyle Himsworth kyle.a.himsworth at gmail.com
Wed May 23 16:22:55 UTC 2018

Hello!

We are currently in the continued planning stages of a project that was
started at my university prior to my hire. The project involves replacing
the decking on the stage floor in on of the large format performance venues
on campus.

The entire stage is trapped and each trap plug is a steel frame with 1/4”
sheet metal welded to the bottom of a steel beam frame (not visible) with
three sheets of plywood laminated together on top of the frame. Everything
is finished out with 1/4” Masonite (double tempered) The original scope of
the job indicated that it was to replace all sheets of plywood and the top
layer of tempered hardboard. Records seem to indicate that the plywood was
replaced 15 years ago or so. We pulled up a test plug and save for some
screw holes and one or two small holes from bolts, the plywood seems to be
in decent condition so I think we’re going to consider forgoing the plywood
replacement.

The biggest question comes to the hardboard top layer. I know that since
traditional brand Masonite is no longer available, I’ve gotten a whole mess
of different hardboard products for scenic work... all of drastically
varying quality. I know of multiple houses that have replaced their top
hardboard decking only to find that spike tape now destroys their stage
floor.

Through some recommendations over the years I have found a product made by
Decorative Panels International that is a premium hardboard product that
supposedly works well for stage floor application. I have also noticed a
lot of changes in paint quality and so we’re on a quest to find the right
combination of products.

If anyone has any advice or has recently underwent a decking replacement, I
would be more than grateful for the opportunity to chat about how it went
and your experience.

Thanks,

-Kyle