[SML] Martin Mac 301 strobing in video

Dave Vick dave.vick at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 21:00:30 UTC 2018

You’re seeing the interplay between the AC current frequency in the lamp
and the “shutter speed” for lack of a better word in the camera. If you can
adjust the shutter drum speed, it’ll require some experimentation but you
can probably solve this.

I get the same effect with fly-bys of WWII aircraft I record on my iPhone;
the shutter speed of the phone is just off a harmonic of the engine rpm of
the plane...  I get a fast fly-by of a B-17 bomber with four four-bladed
props that are barely revolving, and then in the wrong direction.

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 12:44 PM Edward Hunter via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Someone shot a video of a show I designed that used MAC 301's. In the
> video you can see the MAC strobing as the intensity goes from zero to
> full. Needless to say the human eye does not perceive this. I'm
> wondering if there is any setting on the fixture or the camera that
> would make this stop? My guess is a high end camera might deal better
> with it but I'd like to understand what's happening. Has anyone else
> seen something like this?
> -Ed

Dave Vick
517-749-3859