[SML] Chain as hanging hardware

Ben Thoron SML bthoronsml at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 21:55:29 UTC 2018

So...
I was invited to a nearby high school theatre space to take a look at
a few things the drama teacher was worried about.  She was right to be
worried. That being said, there were some hanging hardware choices
that weren't the way I would have done them, but I wasn't sure I I was
over thinking the problem.

All the fixed battens are attached to a pipe grid, hung to some unseen
structure above a plaster ceiling, using threaded rod.  That seemed
fine to me.  All the battens, curtain track etc was hung with chain.
Open S hooks at the track, looped over the pipe, and terminated with a
variety of hardware (quick links, bolts, s hooks and shackles).
I didn't mind the chain, provided it wasn't rusty, but the choice of
terminations did.  In my theatre, shackles and proof chain are the
only way... Open S hooks, bad, bolts through the links, very bad,
quick links, maybe.
  What is the best practice for hanging under a pipe grid in this
situation? (Other than simply recommending that they hire a reputable
theatrical contractor to redo the entire installation).

Ben Thoron
The Old Globe