[SML] Extremely low profile air caster?

Joe Dunfee joe at dunfee.com
Wed Oct 3 19:58:37 UTC 2018

I was in a rehearsal, when at the end of a dream sequence, the director
asked the character to "float" away as the dream faded.  He said
ideally, she would just move backwards, without walking. But he just
asked her to walk backwards smoothly.

That got me wondering if it was possible to do.  In this case, the
actress is actually starting out kneeling, so she can simply stay
kneeling, so she is well braced if a platform pulls her.  However, to
not look like she is on a platform, the platform would need to be very
low profile.

I 1st though of just dragging a piece of 1/4" ply, or linoleum, perhaps
with Teflon on the underside if really necessary.

Then, I thought of air casters.  The commercial heavy-duty ones are
designed with what looks like a bicycle inner tube.  But, they also tend
to lift the platform a few inches as the "inner tube" inflates. Then, I
thought of the standard air-puck that is used to demonstrate Bernoulli's
principal, when the moving air creates a lower pressure, so the puck
actually adheres to the table surface. The flowing air also reduces
friction to near zero.  So, the air puck is both levitated, and also
held down.

Those air pucks have nothing more than just a flat surface on the
underside. So, they are very low profile.  But, a quick test using a
large wood circle was unsuccessful. Though, the air pressure for the
number of square inches should have lifted the disk. But so there are
other issues. I imagine the air pressure needs to overcome the weight of
the disk by the surface area of the air inlet.  But, even lifting the
disk a bit to help the process didn't get it to float.

My air source was a very old CPAP machine (that helps people breath at
night).  It provides up to 0.26 PSI at a pretty high flow rate, and most
importantly, is very quiet. Newer ones all have security built in, so
that it takes a password to set the pressure.  So, I am looking for a
reasonably affordable source for just the fans, so I won't have to
scavenge for them.  Note that these are brushless, so they would need a
motor controller.

Any air-puck experts out there?  I am sure a lot of people in theater
would love to see an extremely low profile air-caster.

-Joe