[SML] Music licences

nathan best best.nathan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 13:09:24 UTC 2018

Hello all,

I'm looking for guidance on music licensing as it pertains to live events.
We're a college and do mostly private events. Some solely for students,
others for invited guests. I can think of maybe two very large annual
events that are open to the public, but those are free. The music is mostly
background music.

In the past, we've done a combination of hiring DJs or private
Pandora/Spotify accounts (shame on us), but we're looking at the cost,
availability, and procedures for going legit.

Most companies only cater to business like restaurants or stores, nothing
really for events, at least not that I can find. Boss is hesitant to reach
out to licensing companies themselves, lest we are put on their radar.

Anyone have experience with this issue or can point me in the direction of
some good resources.

Thank you in advance.

Nathan B.