[SML] Extremely low profile air caster?

jdunfee12 at yahoo.com jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 02:44:10 UTC 2018

 Thanks, but I think that 1 1/4" (the diameter of that Pallet Master caster) is still too thick for this situation.  Plus, I suspect the static friction (the friction that has to be overcome when most things are starting motion) will cause a noticeable jerk when motion starts.  Air casters don't have that start-up friction.
But, I will certainly keep that caster in mind for the future.  As long as you have wing space, that may permit an very low wagon.
Regarding my initial air-caster concept, I spent a few hours this evening trying a more elaborate set-up.  I tried it on a concrete floor, and really has zero results. The test rig was a 3/8" thick plywood square about 28" square. I taped a thin gasket to the perimeter, by cutting some 1/2" wide strips of underlayment foam, which was about 1/16" thick. The 1st effort was to put it at only the perimeter, then the 2nd attempt, I divided the bottom into two, with another strip of the gasket. The pressure should have been enough from just the CPAP machine, to lift my own weight. I could detect some Air flow coming from the perimeter, and I could feel the wood flex up, as the pressure built up underneath.  But, no ability to glide, even if it was only the weight of the wood.
I also tried some variations, all without success.  Air from our compressor, which I didn't expect it to work because of the lower volume of air. I also used a 120v air mattress inflator, which was able to generate similar air pressure to the CPAP machine, though of course, much noisier.  I think it had a bit more air flow.
I suspect that my somewhat stiff gasket meant that the air had too easy of a path out from the perimeter.  Perhaps I gave up too soon.  I realize now that there was a room next to where I was working that had a smooth polished floor.  On stage, I might have used a piece of linoleum.
If I want to try again, I think I may try out a much more flexible seal. If I really wanted it to be a lot like the ones used in hovercraft, I might try pencil balloons. But, then it might be susceptible to the "tweeting" you sometimes get from them.  I recall that at  Sight & Sound theater in Strasburg, they used to use air casters on their Noah set.   When they moved them behind the curtain during intermission, I recall hearing an audience member say "I think they are bringing in the birds now".
-Joe

    On Thursday, October 4, 2018, 10:09:59 AM EDT, gbierly--- via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote: For what you are suggesting I would think the Pallet Master caster sourced from Rose Brand would make the lowest profile platform...
https://www.rosebrand.com/product2682/Pallet-Master-Caster.aspx?tid=3&info=Cup%2BSwivel%2BCaster