[SML] Torches on stage

Bill Potter bpotter at sps.edu
Thu Sep 20 21:40:28 UTC 2018

Howdy Listers,

Our Life Safety folks have looked into our request to use torches in an upcoming production. (We were planning on GAM torches.) Unfortunatley, they have denied the request, quoting NFPA 160, Standard for the Use of Flame Effects Before an Audience. Within that standard is a requirement that “All flame effect operators shall be at least 21 years of age.”

I’m wondering if this standard might be intended to cover operators of larger equipment. I wouldn’t really think that a cast member holding a torch would be considered a “flame effect operator”. I’m certain I’ve seen folks under 21 holding candles, torches and other small flame effects onstage.

Any thoughts on where to look in the code for torch guidelines?

Thanks,

Bill Potter
bpotter at sps.edu<mailto:bpotter at sps.edu>