[SML] Boston Mayor's aides convicted of demanding music festival hire union stagehands.

Dale Farmer dale at cybercom.net
Fri Aug 9 01:19:43 UTC 2019

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/08/07/verdict-reached-in-city-hall-extortion-trial/

I don't think this one is behind a paywall, unlike the boston globe's
story.

Short version.   Two senior city hall staffers were in a final meeting
with the Boston Calling music festival organizers days before the event.
  They say they asked the organizers to hire union stagehands.  But they
still had not handed over the final city permits needed for the event
when they asked.  The festival organizers felt that if they didn't agree
to what they viewed as a demand, they wouldn't get the needed city
permits.    They hired union stagehands and got the permits.  Someone
asked the FBI to investigate and this trial resulted.

My memory (Unreliable on this, as I never worked the event myself) was
that in prior years, they used a mix of paid non-union stagehands, and
volunteers. anyone with first hand knowledge, feel free to correct facts.)

My opinion, big black eye to the union's reputation.

Dale