[SML] Swapping Grand and Midstage Curtain

mark35816 at aol.com mark35816 at aol.com
Mon Feb 25 22:38:30 UTC 2019

For our next show, Newsies, we want to have a black grand curtain and border instead of the current burgundy ones that are normally used.  We have a black midstage draw curtain and border that we plan to swap it with.  The midstage position will not be used during the show and can be flown up out of view.  The midstage is approximately 10 foot upstage of the grand. The curtains are approximately 25 foot high and are wider than the 56 foot wide proscenium.
We have a single purchase counterweight system and both of the curtains weigh approximately the same amount.  For background purposes, I have been working in the venue for over 10 years and have flown a lot of scenery, but this is the first time I would like to swap the curtains (NOT the curtain tracks).  I have moved legs and borders before, but none of them weigh as much as these curtains. We have rope we can use for a bull line, we have one rope wrench, and a 24 foot scissor lift available.
The question I have is:  What procedure would you use to safely swap the curtains?
Thanks!
Mark S. EcclestonHuntsville, AL256-694-8575