[SML] Painting Chrome

jdunfee12 at yahoo.com jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 19:44:40 UTC 2019

Thank you all for your comments.  My contact in the automotive  painting world says "Sand, Prime, then Paint". He said the spokes are probably stainless steel, but they don't need to be scuffed up as much. This is intended to be permanent, so I am OK with the permanence. But, I am trying to save a lot of labor.

I also found a mention online from a person replying to someone who wanted to paint the chrome on a bicycle; "The "chrome finish" on your frame is probably zinc plating that has already been lacquered"  Later in the thread, they say that there can sometimes be chemical reactions to different paints with different metals.  But, in my case, I am fairly sure it is actual chrome, since I can't detect any lacquer on it.

My internet searches nearly all say "Sand, Prime, and Paint with an epoxy paint".  However, I did run across another page that sells "Clear 4 Chrome". The company is ALSA. https://alsacorp.com/clear-4-chrome-topcoat/

It is apparently used in combination with their "Candy Concentrates" to achieve colors.  Their sales pitch guy says, "Finally it is here! A clear coat paint for real chrome that actually sticks."

Of course, I know better than to trust the sales pitch. Especially since my automotive contact was not familiar with it.  The other issue is cost.  The smallest portion is a quart, plus a quart of the required hardener, is $225.  I looked online for what may be a substitute, and found some. But, have even more doubts about their durability.

I am also now deciding that wrought-iron is the look to go for, just from a practical point of view. I don't need to worry as much about how I fix any flaking, since I can just do another sanding on that spot, and touch up, without worrying about the fix marring a super smooth surface.

I will probably wait a week or so, in hopes the weather will get a bit warmer.  But, at the moment I am planning to sand and then use "Brite Touch Automotive and General Purpose Primers, Black spray paint." $2.62 at my local Pep Boys.

-Joe Dunfee