[SML] Floor paint and/or sealer

Mark Gostomski ssewsa at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 17:41:12 UTC 2019

I know the floor painting discussion has come through here before but I can
not seem to find it and I have a bit of a twist.

Back story - My theater had a flood in October. The stage floor top layer
was destroyed and the modified sprung layer was completely replaced due to
concerns about possible mold. All in all the entire floor was removed to
the slab and rebuilt.

The top layer put in was standard maso, as far as I can tell as a flooring
company did the work not myself. They did two coats of Rosco Tuff Prime and
then signed the project back to me after 2 days of curing time. All seemed
well except as soon as we started putting down Gaff in any form. The gaff
when pulled off is pulling the paint and the tempered top layer of maso
almost every single time. It seems that the gaff is strong enough to
separate the tempered layer from the core of the sheet.

So here are my questions for this wise group:
Has anyone seen this before and if so what was the fix?
Is there a better paint treatment to use that would help to mitigate this
for fresh maso?
Is there a sealer that anyone uses over the tuff prime, either in general
or that might help fix this?
Any other suggestions or thoughts?

The flooring company is being awesome and willing to do what ever they need
to fix it, including replace the maso if needed, but I agreed to help them
try to find solutions before that step. They have reordered maso from two
different suppliers and have redone tests that adjusted
number of coats, cure times, and amount of time tape was left down. Each
test has come back the same.

Thank you for any wisdom you can offer!

Mark Gostomski
Technical Director