[SML] Floor paint and/or sealer

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 18:56:48 UTC 2019

I've heard of it a number of times and have seen photos.  The problem
is not the coating, its the hardbord, certainly not Masonite.
Obviously, the paint bound just fone withteh hardboard, as it held
while pulling apart the hardboard. I believe the only permanent fix is
to replace the hardboard.  I think there is one company that makes a
high grade of tempered hardboard - maybe DPI?  IIRC its Class 1.  I
suspect HD and Lowes cary class 5.  Look here for a little more.
https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/ibr/001/aha.a135.4.1995.pdf   Its
going to be special order and shipping it.

I haven't specified it hardboard by itself in a while and use plyron
for all stage floors I design.  Two this week actually.

There are some other materials available today - solid black
throughout - but pricey.  I'm going to let someone else offer those
up, and maybe share experience.

Good luck.

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 1:41 PM Mark Gostomski via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I know the floor painting discussion has come through here before but I can not seem to find it and I have a bit of a twist.
>
> Back story - My theater had a flood in October. The stage floor top layer was destroyed and the modified sprung layer was completely replaced due to concerns about possible mold. All in all the entire floor was removed to the slab and rebuilt.
>
> The top layer put in was standard maso, as far as I can tell as a flooring company did the work not myself. They did two coats of Rosco Tuff Prime and then signed the project back to me after 2 days of curing time. All seemed well except as soon as we started putting down Gaff in any form. The gaff when pulled off is pulling the paint and the tempered top layer of maso almost every single time. It seems that the gaff is strong enough to separate the tempered layer from the core of the sheet.
>
> So here are my questions for this wise group:
> Has anyone seen this before and if so what was the fix?
> Is there a better paint treatment to use that would help to mitigate this for fresh maso?
> Is there a sealer that anyone uses over the tuff prime, either in general or that might help fix this?
> Any other suggestions or thoughts?
>
> The flooring company is being awesome and willing to do what ever they need to fix it, including replace the maso if needed, but I agreed to help them try to find solutions before that step. They have reordered maso from two different suppliers and have redone tests that adjusted
> number of coats, cure times, and amount of time tape was left down. Each test has come back the same.
>
> Thank you for any wisdom you can offer!
>
> Mark Gostomski
> Technical Director
> Paul Mellon Arts Center