[SML] [EXTERNAL] Theatre Cameras

Mark Thomason blackfaer at gmail.com
Mon May 6 20:13:44 UTC 2019

In addition to the considerations for iris response, I highly recommend having 2 cameras; one for IR in the blackouts that only feeds backstage and the booth, and one for everywhere in color. Some switch between the modes but you can’t always get them to switch when and where you want them…

-Mark Thomason

Subject: [EXTERNAL] [SML] Theatre Cameras

We're looking to upgrade our camera system in our theatre and don't have much knowledge in the area. We have a camera that broadcasts the stage to a couple of TVs in our lobby and green room so actors can watch the action onstage while they are waiting for cues. Does anyone have a camera they love for this? Our main concern is finding something that can handle the quick switch from blackouts to bright theatre lighting. We also want something that zooms and can move around. Also does anyone have any insight on the pros and cons of using network cameras as opposed to hardwired cameras for theatrical purposes? Our current camera is hardwired.