[SML] Theater Style seating and codes for it

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Wed May 22 10:39:44 UTC 2019

Not clear on scope - new build or reseating existing or.....  Then where
are you and do you know the speecific edition of which codes have been
adopted for your jurisdiction.

Clear widths both in rows and aisles along with common paths of travel and
travel distance to start.

Then aisle safety - ramp and stair geometry,  handrails and guards,
markings, and illumination. Probably the biggest liability concern.

Then lay on accesibility - ADA - which gets more complicated with new.  And
the space or clear dimensions are increasing in upcoming editions so when
this work is planned impacts .

And then comfort, sightlines, maintanence, etc. - non code issues - arise.
Codes are a minimum for safety, not a guide to good design.

I do seating layouts every day and will struggle to cite sections without
looking because i just know them, not to mention having had a hand in
writing them.

If you'd liked, contact me off line and I'll give you some time to
hopefully jumpstart your efforts.