[SML] Design/production management position open at Middlebury College

June Abernathy JEA00321 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 18 03:48:24 UTC 2019

> On Oct 17, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Andy Leviss wrote:
> "
>
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 10:56 AM Dougherty, Jim via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net <mailto:stagecraft at theatrical.net>> wrote:
>
>> We have a position open for a Staff designer (LX and Sets) with production
>> management responsibilities for an affiliated theater company.  Here?s the
>> link to the full posting:
>>

>> *Production Designer/ PTP/NYC Production, Company and Budget Manager*
>>

> That's?like, four or five positions in one ? Do they need to TD and ME
> their own designs, too?
>
> -Andy

They think it’s three jobs:
"The job responsibilities of the Production Designer and PTP/NYC Production, Company & Budget Manager fall under three pillars: Serving as (1) Resident Scenic & Lighting Designer for four or more Theatre productions per year at Wright Theatre and the Seeler Studio Theatre on the Middlebury campus, some of which will transfer to NYC for the PTP professional season (2) Production Manager for PTP/NYC, the NYC-based professional theatre company affiliated with Middlebury College (3) Company Manager and Budget Administrator for PTP/NYC."

I count about 8.
1. Lighting Designer
2. Set Designer
3. Production Manager
4. Company Manager
5. ME
6. TD
7. Teacher
8. Advisor for the Hepburn Zoo

And #6 & #7 include this:
"Trains, manages and supervises technical staff involved in setting up and dismantling of productions, and running same for 5 week season.”

To be fair, it seems like the Production Management is seasonal and the Hepburn Zoo Advisory position is probably not a lot. Still, that’s plenty of work for $57K. OTOH, Kudos to them for including a base salary in the listing, and being aware that they are asking someone to do at least 3 jobs.

June Abernathy
IATSE #321 (Tampa, FL)
FOH Electrician
The Lion King National Tour