[SML] LED conversion

Ben Thoron SML bthoronsml at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 00:44:50 UTC 2019

All true.
However...
Imagine a backlight system of PAR 64 fixtures (1kw to keep the math
easy)  The replacement is is an ETC colorsource PAR, rated at .09kw.

On the face of it- that's a 90% reduction in power consumption potential.
Except that it's hard to turn into KWH for calculating cost savings.
How long is the backlight system on?  at what intensity?  Is it the
same for all shows in a season? And all the other permutations and
variations that can happen day to day.

Further, the LED power consumption is actually color-dependent, for
instance using the charts on the etc website matching a deep blue gel
uses less than 45watts.

At what point do you just start using a random number generator to
estimate the savings?

I should go home and see what's in the fridge to may me feel less anxious.

Ben Thoron
Production Manager
The Old Globe