[SML] [EXTERNAL] Re: Old joke request

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 17:08:33 UTC 2019

I have been the butt of many 'Producer' jokes since 1970, but they are
getting milder, primarily because of the growth of multitasking by Auteurs,
I think. There are less 'casting couch' and 'cheapskate' jokes, too, at
least by the IA members I talk to.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 9:44 AM Jeffrey Kanyuck via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> As do I. I agree with how times have changed it just isn't appropriate.

> *Subject:* [EXTERNAL] Re: [SML] Old joke request
>
> Please use caution: This email was generated outside of HCC.
>
> I concur with June’s sentiment.
>
> The nature of that “joke” has always been the discomfort created by the
> implication of a racist sentiment.
>
> On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 1:50 AM June Abernathy via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
> I may be in the minority here, but I think some old jokes (and types of
> jokes) should be allowed to gracefully slip into the past. And I think the
> various iterations of the “hang the blacks” joke absolutely qualify as some
> that don’t necessarily need to be passed on to the next generation. I
> remember it from when I was a punk too. But sensibilities evolve over time,
> and I find it cringeworthy now.
>
> My .02c
>
> June Abernathy
> IATSE #321 (Tampa, FL)