[SML] Teaching technical theater and OSHA

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 17:47:46 UTC 2019

For Kate,
Is the new Director of Facilities just trying to limit the School's
liability, so if something happens, she can maintain 'Plausible
Deniability'? Can you go over her head to the legal department or an
executive officer of your College? Can an argument be made that the
Training of Safety and Efficiency in the handling of theatrical equipment
is part of the college's mission? Can you use fully insured Overhires? If
there are student workers, can Workers Compensation be provided? The
STANDARD OF INDUSTRY is to have students perform these tasks as a
Curricular Activity, There are college textbooks that are written and
approved specifically for use in programs such as this.
/s/ Richard Niederberg, Esq.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 10:18 AM Dougherty, Jim via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> From a colleague, Kate Caffrey, working at Framingham State University in
> MA:
>
> "We are trying to grow our Theatre concentration at Framingham State.  A
> new director of facilities has been hired and she refuses to let students
> and faculty use lifts, tools, etc. to build sets, hang lights, etc.  She
> also refuses to let any professionals we hire from the outside use any of
> Framingham State's equipment/tools do these duties. She claims they must
> bring their own tools, lifts, etc.  She says that she is abiding by OSHA's
> rules.
>
> I have worked in theatre professionally and in Higher Ed for a number of
> years and have never run into anything like this.  I am now in a position
> where I need to find "proof" that other schools teach skills to students -
> allowing them to hang/focus lights, build sets, etc.
>
> I am wondering if you could send me something brief that explains how
> Colleges/Universities/Community Colleges across the country (the world?)
> are allowed to teach students these hands on skills and remain OSHA
> compliant?"
>
> If anyone has supporting experience or evidence to help out, please
> contact Kate directly at mcaffrey1 at framingham.edu.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Dougherty
> Middlebury College Theatre Dept