[SML] Super glue doesn't work. What does?

Andy Leviss andy at soundguyandy.com
Sun Feb 9 23:29:04 UTC 2020

On Sun, Feb 9, 2020 at 12:34 PM Jon Ares via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> My latest attempt was two pieces of PLA (3d print).  Flat surface.
> Two drops.... held for 30 seconds, then carefully set it down on the
> workbench, and 2 hours later, I pick it up and it falls apart. And the
> two drops of glue were even still a bit wet

Okay, a few things:

1) Two drops was likely one too many. A single drop is enough for a square
inch of contact area.  Because of how CA works, more is not better, excess
glue doesn’t cure and/or becomes brittle.

2) For the same reason, gel is rarely useful.

3) Activator is not a scam, it’s just chemistry. But it doesn’t change #1.

4) If a little bulking in the joint is okay, baking soda sprinkled on it
works as a way less noxious activator than the spray. It’ll cure it
instantly. (This is a trick I picked up from Adam Savage’s awesome book
“Every Tool’s a Hammer”!)

-Andy