[SML] Folding workbench/chop saw station....

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Thu Jul 9 18:21:50 UTC 2020

So I've been trying to figure out something I've always wanted for
home... I have a small 2-bay garage, with one bay for the wood
shop.... along the wall (about 10 feet available) I want a workbench
(with my chop saw on it as well) but with a fold-down top at the same
height as the chop saw - and the work area of the workbench lowers out
of the way automagically, all level-like.... and when I'm done with
the chop saw, I can fold the top back up and have my workbench exposed
again.  I have dreamt of this, and POW - I find this video, where this
guy has been working on the very same thing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHhXbz1K0k0&t=396s

But... the video is not really about the bench he's working on...
(great video, but the bench is a prop, not the subject) - and he
doesn't have a video, or drawings, of the design/project.

Anyone done anything like this? My brain isn't so good on machining
the physics, but drawings help my brain a lot.  I've pored over "kits"
for murphy beds with level desks, but they're expensive kits, and not
really what I want - so they really haven't been that helpful, in a
reverse-engineering manner.

I'm looking to build two of these - one that's maybe 5 feet on one
side of my chop saw, and another that's about 3 feet on the other
side.

Thoughts? Resources?

 - Jon

--