[SML] Using UV lights in a theatre HVAC

jdunfee12 at yahoo.com jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 00:46:23 UTC 2020

 Regarding the use of UV in an A/C system, note that it must be UVC... this is further into the UV spectrum, and is not something you want to expose people to.  You can't just put your theatrical black-lights in there, and get any results.  I did a quick search, and see that they actually used in some situations. But, I didn't come across stuff for places like theaters. Tough, actual effectiveness may not be the main benefit of them.  If you simply say, "We've installed Ultra-Violet sanitizers in our A/C system", you are helping to make people feel more confident about coming to your venue.

Concerning the often mocked comments from Trump about treatment options. There are plenty of light-activated treatment systems in use by doctors.  And there are techniques being studied in regards to using UV light as an anti-viral that is introduced into the lungs via optical filaments, down the trachea. All of the methods he has mentioned were on the table by medical professionals, at some point in regards to COVID-19.  They may not have gained wide acceptance, and plenty of other ideas were being pursued, especially as things were continuously changing in the earlier days. But these comments by Trump are not nonsense utterances.  The biggest concern when something like this gets so politicized, is that some medical professionals may be influenced in regards to if a particular treatment option should be investigated.  Also, when you use a straw-man argument against someone, you imply that there are no valid reasons for criticism.
-Joe