[SML] Stage Flying Clause in Contracts/Policies

SS cueonego at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 19:07:40 UTC 2020

Hey gang, hope everyone is staying healthy and safe out there! I have a
quick non-Covid related question/practical dilemma for the peanut gallery
(that, coincidentally, may also help relieve some boredom during this
trying time!)...

Do any of you out there include in your sundry paperwork a
clause/policy/rule pertaining to aereography in your venue(s)?
Hypothetically, say a theatre company rents (key word here *rents*) your
space on the regular and decides that next season they are doing Mary
Poppins (or Peter Pan, or Wicked, or suddenly fancy themselves a Cirque
group *IDK*). Obviously, you (the venue) do not want to assume
liability/risk for them flying performers. So, the smart thing to do would
be to have something (legal approved) in writing (i.e., contracts,
proposals, tech packets, wherever) to address this sort of thing up
front—perhaps telling the renter/user that they must work with (and provide
proof) certified professionals such as ZFX, Vertigo, etc.; and if they do
not/cannot, the show is a "no-go."

By a show of hands, how many of you currently do this (have legalease
and/or a written policy in place)? And if so, would you be PLEASE be kind
enough to share said verbiage with me?

Thanks in advance. And again, stay healthy!

-SS
"If I agreed with you, well, we'd both be wrong"