[SML] lighting for video (from a live theatre background)

C. Andrew Dunning landrudesign at gmail.com
Mon May 25 19:15:00 UTC 2020

Andrew –

I do a fair amount of “for video” lighting using in-house
theatre systems and tend to have pretty good success.  Here
are a few random notes:

1)  My talent is seldom stationary so I rarely use
“pin-point” lighting.  All is typically a “wash” approach.

2)  My ideal (somewhat) “key” angles are 30° up from
horizontal and 30° either side of dead-on.

3)  I add low-angle (15°ish) front “eye-socket” lighting.
(Rarely run more than 20%.)

3)  I try to get side lighting at a similar vertical angle
to my key light.

4)  Back-light is a must – 60° from horizontal.

5)  The way you describe area overlap mimics my approach –
50% area overlap.  Provided fixtures are in relatively good
condition, I rarely have an issue getting an even wash –
metered, not just to the eye.

6)  Front and side fixtures are always ellipsoidals.  Rear
are either fresnels or PARs.

7)  Color is pretty-much always some level of CTB and L257
or L256 – enough frost to help w. blending but not so much
so as to lose shaping.

8)  I use foot (hat) lights here-and-there but never run
more than 10%-15% or so.

I hope that this helps a little.

Regards –

C. Andrew Dunning