[SML] "Extra" weight on a winched electric....

Bill Sapsis bill at sapsis-rigging.com
Tue Oct 13 21:34:23 UTC 2020

Hi Jon.

Yes, there should be more counterweight in the arbor over an above 'dead weight/pipe weight'.
How much more depends on the overall system design as well as the winch capacity.

If the winch is a dead haul style ie: the drive line runs from the winch to the bottom of the arbor only, then you want to keep the system pipe heavy.  You don't want to get too close to a balanced load otherwise the arbor may run in on its own.  It's especially a problem if someone takes off a couple of lights without compensating at the arbor.

If the winch drive line is attached to the top and the bottom of the arbor, ie: replicating what a purchase line looks like in a manual system, then you can get a bit closer to balancing the load.

Zat help?

Bill S

bill at sapsis-rigging.com
http://sapsis-rigging.com