[SML] Show Budgets Question

Steve Boone sboone at bgsu.edu
Tue Apr 20 20:55:12 UTC 2021

Hi,
Your budget per show is actually a little higher than ours, but still in the same ballpark.  I would also say that we’re chronically underfunded, and pre-Covid we relied on our box office for the bulk of our $.

If you’re really interested in finding more comparative info, the parent organization of the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) keeps a data base called HEADS.  It stands for Higher Education Arts Data Service.
All of the NAST member schools are required to put lots of budget info into this.  I see that non-member schools can contact them for access to the data (but I bet there’s $ involved).

Here’s their web page:
https://secure3.vaultconsulting.com/HEADS/

When I was a department chair, this info seemed to be a useful tool when the upper administration started asking questions.  However it never got us any more money (but it may have prevented a budget cut or two).

Show budgets are listed in the data in fairly large groups.  Here at BGSU we fall into the group: "public univ. theatre program with 100 to 500 majors.”  Our program enrollment is often close to 100, so I always looked towards the bottoms of the ranges in salaries, show budgets, and other interesting bits when it was time to talk to the dean about money.

I stopped being the dept. chair several years ago, so I’m not in a position now where I can see any HEADS data (in other words, I don’t keep the password any more!).

But I thought this resource might be useful to you if you’re really interested in digging in.

Steve Boone, Assoc. Prof.
BGSU Department of Theatre and Film