[SML] Ceiling Fans on Battens

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 14:08:01 UTC 2021

Just add glitter for 'the perfect storm'. It would take years to get rid of
it all. The concept of blowing dust into the audience's eyes is a
liability-generating idea. As Ricky Ricardo would say to Lucy, "You Dun't".
/s/ Richard

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 3:38 AM Joe via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I agree with others that this probably can't be a real effect. Rather,
> you are going to have to cheat to some extent.
>
> To save money, you may get by with more normal residential scale ceiling
> fan motors. But install longer blades. If you have other fans to blow the
> detris, the blades don't need to blow anything. So they could just be flat.
> Then they don't make much resistance to being moved.
>
> As far as how the blades are constructed,  you need them to be
> lightweight. I picture putting something on the blade holder, so you can
> attach a  wire perhaps 4" or 6" from the base, to attach a tension wire to
> support the far end. Perhaps make the base from a short length of 1x3l2.
> Then the rest of the blade might be luan, or even be foam core. I prefer
> foam core, out of wanting it safer if there is a failure.
>
> If the blades don't actually blow wind, that may also reduce ongoing
> torque issues. Though there still will be torque at start up.
>
> For detris, fans on the ground, plus perhaps some tissue paper, or light
> plastic. I wonder if there are some super lightweight tissues? I am sure it
> would be easier to stain paper over plastic. Or even print fake news print
> directly on it by mounting it on another paper first with tape.
>

> -Joe

/s/ Richard
_________