[SML] Ceiling Fans on Battens

Joe jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 10 11:37:18 UTC 2021

I agree with others that this probably can't be a real effect. Rather,  you are going to have to cheat to some extent.
To save money, you may get by with more normal residential scale ceiling fan motors. But install longer blades. If you have other fans to blow the detris, the blades don't need to blow anything. So they could just be flat. Then they don't make much resistance to being moved.
As far as how the blades are constructed,  you need them to be lightweight. I picture putting something on the blade holder, so you can attach a  wire perhaps 4" or 6" from the base, to attach a tension wire to support the far end. Perhaps make the base from a short length of 1x3l2. Then the rest of the blade might be luan, or even be foam core. I prefer foam core, out of wanting it safer if there is a failure.
If the blades don't actually blow wind, that may also reduce ongoing torque issues. Though there still will be torque at start up.
For detris, fans on the ground, plus perhaps some tissue paper, or light plastic. I wonder if there are some super lightweight tissues? I am sure it would be easier to stain paper over plastic. Or even print fake news print directly on it by mounting it on another paper first with tape.

-Joe