[SML] Ceiling Fans on Battens

Stephen Rees Stephen.Rees at fredonia.edu
Wed Feb 10 14:09:09 UTC 2021

Regarding Fans on Battens.  I won't address the effect desired here as I
have no experience moving that much air via a downdraft fan. I do think
blowing debris into an audience is ill-conceived at best. But that's for
someone else to comment/decide on.

However, I did once need to have 4, operable 5-blade, 50" fans on a single
batten moving fairly slowly. The ultimate effect was visibly moving fan
blade shadows on the deck and performers. Off the shelf residential fans
could not be slowed enough without overheating and were not cost effective.
The "fans" were constructed from small variable speed split-phase motors
that turned between 3 to 10 RPM if I recall correctly.  Blades were 1/8"
luaun. The first time out, the single batten on which they were installed
oscillated quite badly. The solution was the installation of
counterweighted horizontal bridles fixed on EACH end of the batten running
offstage approximately 30 degrees upstage and downstage with wire rope run
through single sheaves attached to the building structure. The bridles had
enough line to allow the batten to be raised out of sightlines and lowered
to trim as needed. These bridles stabilised the batten sufficiently to stop
all oscillations.  The variable speed motors allowed the fans to run at
different speeds as desired by the director.

HTH,
Steve

Stephen E. Rees, Treasurer - Revitalize Dunkirk
Professor Emeritus of Theatre
CCE-CC Master Gardener Volunteer
716.680.1565 Mobile