[SML] Question about codes

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 20:09:51 UTC 2021

The IBC and LSC which are most widely used in the US permit non-standard
rail spacing on lighting catwalks (and a few other places for entertainment
technology).  My standard is for 22" clear between top of toe board and
bottom of lower rail, and 22" between top of lower rail and bottom of upper
rail.  (I used to do 30" when 8" ERSs were more common.)  This may not be
enough to satisfy OSHA requirements for fall protection.

I believe it's very important to not require people to lean out to focus
and service the gear.  It's much safer if both feet are flat and your body
balanced over the catwalk deck.

I attach a page from a presentation I did at TEAC 2010 that shows a design
that does provide fall protection, and sounds like what someone had in mind
but didn't really know what they were doing would not work well.