[SML] Regulatory

David Fox David.Fox at etcconnect.com
Wed Feb 17 18:05:34 UTC 2021

[uncloaking]
This is always an odd question as regulatory takes on so many different meanings.  From looking at your description I believe you are essentially looking for governing bodies that create rules and regulations that impact our work and the spaces we work in. Here are some to add to your list below

UL-
Underwriters Laboratories uses a series of codes and designations that determine if a product or item meets the rules within National Electrical code. These can include voltages, emergency requirements, maximum voltages, emitted frequencies, etc. Inspectors may not know the NEC code a product needs to meet, but they do know the UL code (Example NEC 700.24 and UL 924).

ASHRAE-
The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers is a body that works with multiple groups and develops the regulations and standards that go into national building code, DOE energy requirements, Heating and cooling regulations. Examples you will see in venues include building safety requirements. Heating and cooling cycles and temperature control location rules, occupancy and daylight sensors and controls, switched outlets and building lighting control schedules. If you have ever wondered Why the hell did it get built like that? Or Who decided that the light switches needed to be placed.... It was probably due to an ASHRAE rule.

ESTA - ESTA has working groups that develop and maintain industry standards or work with other larger groups to make sure that our industries  needs are considered when changes are made to national standards and codes. Recent examples have included changes and exceptions to portable/temporary power installations and allowances for corded emergency lighting. Many of their independent standards are submitted to.....

ANSI- American National Standards Institute. This is a group that collects and maintains a library of documents that while not law, are considered the standard for how something should be done or works. In our industry ESTA and USITT have contributed many. Probably the best known of these  is ANSI E1.11 Entertainment Technology-USITT DMX512-Asynchronous Serial Digital Data Transmission Standard for Controlling Lighting Equipment and Accessories. https://tsp.esta.org/tsp/documents/docs/ANSI-ESTA_E1-11_2008R2018.pdf. Again, not a low or a rule, but when something doesn't comply to the standard it makes it really easy to know why it isn't working ( i.e. 60 devices on a single DMX line).

Fun fact- in 1966, my father was working for the IRS and he and a group of his buddies wrote this.... https://www.scribd.com/doc/30749978/American-Standard-Safety-Code-and-Requirements-for-Dry-Martinis

Hope this helps
It is important to note that the opinions of the individual and those of their employer are not always aligned.

What you have read should be construed as my opinion and not the opinion of my employer.

If you don't like or agree with my thoughts and musings, I am the one you should take to task and not the nice people who pay me.

Be Seeing You
David
[cloaking]